Saturday, March 18, 2006

I had a dream

For a very long time now, I had this particular dream to visit Australia again.

Many, many people often ask me "why?" whenever I say "I want to go to Australia again". While most had nice things to say about Australia, some had not-so-nice things to say. Like "wah, so boring!!", "the people there are racist ...".

Now, I've always defended Australia. I always shoot back, saying".. Now then, you tell me. WHICH COUNTRY doesn't have racism??? Must you paint the whole country as such? Australia does not condone racism, just like any other country ...".

I once went Japan on vacation & exclaimed to the tour guide who brought us to Tokyo Disneyland that she was so lucky to be able to come Disneyland as & when she like, as she had a year-long valid pass. She told me that after a while, even Disneyland will begin to look like your everyday funfair. In other words, it can become boring!!

So you see, remembering what the tour guide told me, I would gently tell the person saying "... but it is soooooo boring!! Australia sooo boring!!" in not so many words that "one man's meat is another man's poison".

You may like to visit USA/Europe ... but it will have no bearing on what I like.

There are many reasons that I like to visit Australia, although I must admit that it can become rather expensive (like any other holiday, no matter where you go). Amongst the reasons are:
  1. I still have friends based all over Australia. They include: JR, P, E, C, S, PP, JC, ... (notice that I only give the initials of their first names, except for PP, since there are 2 P)
  2. The happy memories of my study time in Australia (I've deleted the unhappy ones) are forever embedded in my mind for safekeeping
  3. I love the winter there. No snow but cold cool weather; If I want to see snow, I can go up the mountains (regards to cold weather, I've some funny tales but it is for other times)
  4. Australia's an English-speaking country. As I also speak, read & write English, it makes life easier. The important word here is "EASIER".
  5. Movie World is there
  6. Dream World is there
  7. Wave Rock is there
  8. Tree-Top Walk is there
  9. Can catch abalone there (heheheeee ...)

One of these days, I will describe my feelings as I stepped into Australia alone when I started on my study in Perth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home