Friday, May 12, 2006

Arrival in Melbourne

They said something like "Ladies & Gentlemen, we have just landed in Melbourne International Airport ...." This was on 12 May 2006, 12.30am-ish.

The pent-up excitement was slowly unwinding itself & there was a flow of relaxation in me. A little upward surge in my mouth soon turned into a huge grin & smile.

I collected my backpack, which is always next to me & waited. FINALLY, after what seemed like enternity but in reality, just a mere few minutes, we were let out of the plane & into the actual terminal building itself.

1st stop
duty-free - but not for me, since I had done my shopping in Changi Terminal

2nd stop
passport check - the guy was asking me a couple of questions like "where r u from?", "what will you be doing in Melbourne?", "any goods to declare?" ...

3rd stop
collect luggage - i still chuckled at the thought that the concern that the nice lady at the Changi Airport check-in counter asked about my "9-kilo" luggage. It definitely seemed light but to me, nah!!

luggage collection wait - I thought bags could not go any bigger than those I encountered at the luggage belt.

4th stop
green channel - if you have nothing to declare. I would discourage those who have things to declare but decide to try their luck. Please, don't!!

red channel - if you have stuff like I do (gourmet egg jam- kaya in attractive packaging)

5th stop
wait for friend to fetch me from airport

There are 2 terminals at Melbourne Airport, the International & the Domestic. One need not guess where I was.

Whilst waiting for my friend, I fended off taxi drivers who came up to me one after another "Miss, you need a taxi?" with "No, thank you".

There is no need to be rude, ladies & gentlemen. Just decline politely. The taxi drivers know. You counter 5 words with just 3 words.

There was the toilet but I dared not go, since I had luggage to take care of. Safety first, my dear.

There was also an information counter. I named it the "free brochures for you all to take" counter. I loaded up on whatever I could, in English of course.

Tried calling JR but either my mobile went on strike or I didn't request "auto-roaming" from my service provider, 'cos I could only SMS saying I had arrived & cleared customs.

JR replied back, that he was on his way & I could start making my way out of the terminal to the waiting area. Which I did.

Outside the International terminal, there was the Hilton Hotel. I was like thinking, "Man, they sure know how to locate hotels!!"

Places like the Melbourne Airport Hilton are quite good for people who do need their 40 winks & will pay for that.

If my friend was unable to fetch me & I didn't dare to take a taxi (mind you, a SINGLE LADY taking taxi at 1am in a foreign city??? u gotta be nuts!!), I would take up 1nite's stay in the Hilton, till daylight broke, when I would dare to take the airport shuttle bus.

OUTSIDE the terminal, it was blowing cold. So, I put on my jacket & waited in the blistering cold night on the seat provided. It was a "silent night", with no vehicles except for a bus ferrying the airport staff home ... and a few taxis here & there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home